Through: 7 eleven | 1 actions 16 readings
7-Eleven and Nuro to Offer Residents of Mountain View, Calif., On-Demand Delivery Using Autonomous Vehicles
December 03, 2021 // Franchising.com // IRVING, TX – 7-Eleven, Inc. Brings Futuristic Innovation to Customers in Mountain View, Calif., By Driving Autonomous Delivery with Nuro, a Robotics Company Transforming Local Commerce with autonomous vehicles. In collaboration with Nuro, 7-Eleven is launching the first autonomous commercial delivery in the State of California, allowing its service area customers to order through the 7NOWÂ® delivery app to have their products delivered via a bot.
â7-Eleven has owned and defined convenience since 1927,â said Raghu Mahadevan, digital director of 7-Eleven. âOur first foray into autonomous delivery was in 2016, when 7-Eleven became the first retailer in the United States to provide drone delivery to a customer’s home. Since then, we’ve been constantly looking for ways to redefine convenience for our customers inside and outside the four walls of our stores. Fast forward to 2021, and we’re pushing the boundaries of innovation even further to provide customers with the first commercial self-contained delivery service in California. Can’t wait to see where we go from here.
This is how it works:
- To start: Download the 7NOW delivery app.
- Order: Browse the app to shop for favorite foods like pizza, fries, drinks, housewares and more. Add items to your cart, begin the checkout process, and choose standalone shipping. Autonomous vehicle deliveries are available daily from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Pacific Time at no additional charge to customers in Mountain View, CA.
- Enjoy: The 7NOW delivery app will send updates as the order is processed, and orders will arrive in approximately 30 minutes. Just meet the autonomous vehicle outside, collect your items from the back of the vehicle and enjoy.
Nuro will begin this delivery service with its autonomous Priuses and later introduce R2 robots, the company’s autonomous robots that are custom-designed to transport products and goods without any occupants in the vehicle. Nuro became the first autonomous vehicle company to receive a deployment permit from the California DMV in December 2020, allowing the launch of this first commercial delivery service in the state in collaboration with 7-Eleven.
âThe people of the State of California – a major hub of innovation – have never been able to experience the commercial delivery of goods by an autonomous vehicle. Nuro is partnering with 7-Eleven to change that, âsaid Jiajun Zhu, CEO and co-founder of Nuro. âWe have always wanted to bring the autonomous delivery of Nuro to our local community and to our neighbors. We couldn’t be more excited to do this with an iconic neighborhood store like 7-Eleven in our hometown, Mountain View.
Launched in late 2017, 7NOWÂ® Delivery is available across the United States and offers real-time tracking that lets customers know when to expect their orders, typically within 30 minutes.
* Items subject to an age limit (alcohol, tobacco products, lottery tickets) are not available in stand-alone delivery slips.
* All Nuro Priuses will include an Autonomous Vehicle Operator in the driver’s seat to monitor technology and ensure an optimal delivery experience as service is introduced in the Mountain View area.
SOURCE 7 â Eleven, Inc.