Driver employment up 11.8% in Q3: Trucking HR Canada report

Employment among truck drivers increased by 11.8% in the third quarter of 2022, with some 33,000 more drivers actively employed than in the previous quarter, according to the latest report from Trucking HR Canada (THRC). Overview of the labor market revealed.

At the same time, the number of unemployed drivers has halved. The unemployment rate among drivers is 2.1% compared to 5.3% for the Canadian labor force as a whole.

This follows the second quarter 2022 report showing the job vacancy rate for transport truck drivers was 9.1% – with 28,210 vacancies across Canada.

THRC’s labor supply forecasting model predicts that approximately 7,300 drivers will retire each year through 2023. Add to this an additional approximately 27,000 drivers who will leave the profession each year for reasons other than retirement.

The truck driving workforce in Canada numbered nearly 320,000 drivers, including those who are full-time or actively seeking work. About 60% of these drivers work directly in the trucking industry, with the remaining 40% working in industries such as construction, agriculture, mining and oil and gas extraction, manufacturing, wholesale, retail, etc.

Trucking HR Canada Vacancy Rate Chart

Other trucking and logistics occupations also have rising vacancies. In the second quarter of 2022, THRC estimated that there were 5,200 vacancies for shippers and receivers, up 11% from the first quarter. Additionally, there were approximately 600 vacancies for dispatchers, up 6.1% from Q1 2022, 3,260 vacancies for material handlers (+3.7%) and 843 vacancies for mechanics (+14). .3%).

“Our driver training and wage incentives help attract new workers to the industry,” says Craig Faucette, Program Manager, THRC. “And, with the Youth Employment Strategy specifically mentioned in the Fall Economic Statement as a program that will receive more funding, we are preparing to help more employers fill their persistent labor shortages.

About Julie Gray

Check Also

Fundraiser for Nebraska couple’s Florida restaurant

WATERLOO, Neb. (WOWT) – When Hurricane Ian ripped through Florida in September, grief could be …