MAN pledges to decarbonize by 2050 through electrified fleets, Auto News, ET Auto

File Picture

New Delhi: MAN Truck & Bus recently announced that it has committed itself to a neutral greenhouse gas balance by 2050. Decarbonisation goes through the electrification of the fleet.

The strategy is guided by the guidelines provided by the Global Compact, of which MAN has been a member for many years, and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).

“Even in these difficult times, we respect our corporate responsibility and see sustainable action as a requirement to remain competitive and meet global challenges,” said Alexander Vlaskamp, ​​CEO of the MAN Board. “We want to become a sustainable company. This goal must become ingrained in our DNA, deeply embedded in the consciousness of all our employees,” added Stefan Klatt, Head of Corporate Responsibility at MAN, part of the Traton Group and one of Europe’s leading commercial vehicle manufacturers. .

97.4% of all MAN’s greenhouse gas emissions are generated by the use of the products. By 2030, greenhouse gas emissions per kilometer traveled by trucks, buses and vans sold by MAN will be 28% lower than their 2019 levels.

The commercial vehicle manufacturer has committed to achieving these targets in 2021 as part of the Science Based Targets Initiative (SBTi), a climate protection initiative.

“By the end of the decade, at least half of the vehicles we sell in the EU will be electric,” enthuses MAN CEO Vlaskamp. Since the market launch of the fully electric MAN Lion’s City E city bus in 2020, delivery contracts have already been signed for more than 1,000 units. Vlaskamp: “We are also going to start production of electric trucks at the start of 2024.” These E-trucks will meet the technical requirements for a daily range of 600 to 800 kilometers. MAN is also working with partners to develop a hydrogen truck.

In addition, CO2 emissions from production are to be halved compared to 2015 by 2025. Low CO2 production is planned for 2030, generating 95% less CO2 and offsetting the remaining 5% which cannot be saved for operational reasons. CO2 emissions per vehicle produced decreased by 27% in the 2021 reporting period compared to the previous year, with absolute figures by site falling by 21%. F

According to the CV maker, the previously announced NewMAN (electrification, digitalization, automation) strategy will deliver responsible transport and mobility solutions for the future, while social aspects and good corporate governance will also be key. . Vlaskamp, ​​​​CEO: “We want to provide an attractive working environment, act fairly and with integrity in our dealings with our business partners and ensure that we carry out human rights due diligence throughout the chain of value creation.

Read also :

Groupe Renault has reduced its carbon emissions from freight transport in Europe by nearly 7% between 2018 and 2021, within the scope defined by FRET 21. This commitment is part of the Group’s decarbonization trajectory, which aims to be neutral in carbon in Europe by 2040 and in the world by 2050.

The vehicles are to be delivered successively throughout the year, the automaker said.

About Julie Gray

Check Also

MAN launches next-generation truck in Australia

Penske Australia and MAN Truck & Bus unveiled the next generation of MAN trucks at …